Idioms可以说是我们的成语,一般从字面根本看不出它原来想表达的真正意思。和俚语(slang)不同,Idiom是被所有人都理解,而不是方言。而俚语是民间非正式、同时较口语化的语句,只有某个地域的人才知道。如emo,是very emotional 的意思。所以这里我们把俚语放一边,要先重点学几个关于身体的Idioms(成语).
foot in mouth——说错话,使人尴尬
图片来源于网络
To put your foot in your mouth means that you say or do something that accidentally embarrasses or offends another person
To put your foot in your mouth的意思是,你说的话或做的事不小心让别人难堪或冒犯了别人。
"I put my foot in my mouth when I called by brother's new wife by his ex-wife's name."
如:“我用哥哥前妻的名字称呼他的新婚妻子,我说错话了”。
cost an arm and a leg——花钱如流水
图片来源于网络
When something costs an arm and a leg it costs a lot of money. It's very expensive.
当一件事情spend an arm and a leg 时,就意味着花费了很多钱。非常昂贵。
"It cost me an arm and a leg to get my car fixed."
如:“修车花了我一大笔钱”。
get off my back——别来烦我,不要啰嗦
We use this expression when someone is criticizing you or telling what to do all the time.
当有人总是批评你或告诉你该怎么做时,我们就会用到这句话。
"Stop telling me what to do. Get off my back!"
如:“别再告诉我应该怎么做。别啰嗦了!”
cold shoulder——故意对某人很不友好;冷淡对待
图片来源于网络
To give someone the cold shoulder means to ignore someone.
To give someone the cold shoulder意思是不理睬别人。
"I saw my ex-girlfriend at a party but she wouldn't talk to me. She gave me the cold shoulder."
如:“我在派对上见到了我的前女友,但她不跟我说话。她对我不理不睬”。
play it by ear——见机行事,随机应变
图片来源于网络
To play it by ears means to improvise or do something without preparation.
To play it by ears 的意思是在没有准备的情况下即兴发挥或做某事。
"I don't know where we should go tonight. Let's just play it by ear."
如:“我不知道今晚该去哪儿。我们随机应变吧。”
整理:2023年9月23日于普洱金融超市